Helen Thayer’s Arctic Adventure: A Woman and a Dog Walk to the North Pole
by Sally Isaacs, illustrated by Iva Sasheva
Use this when teaching:
- Women’s History Month (March)
- Compare/Contrast — Compare the adventures of Helen Thayer from this book to Betty Skelton in the book Daredevil
- Setting and achieving goals
- Inspiration for creating Hopes and Dreams.
- Helen Thayer had a specific goal in mind: she wanted to trek to the magnetic North Pole. Nothing was going to get in her way. She trained; she studied; she prepared. She worked toward her Hope and Dream of becoming the first woman to travel alone to the magnetic North Pole.
- Problem Solving
- Many things did not go as planned for Helen Thayer on her trek to the magnetic north pole. She had to think on her feet to solve many problems only using the supplies she packed along with her.
- Theme: Perseverance